About Assiniboine Park Conservancy
Creating the future vision for one of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada’s most prized treasures, Assiniboine Park Conservancy (APC) located at 55 Pavilion Crescent in Winnipeg is the not-for-profit organization that oversees Assiniboine Park’s operations and ensures its ongoing redevelopment and financial viability. Our team is inspired to create and deliver extraordinary experiences for the people who visit and use the Park and Zoo including building friendly, supportive, effective relationships with stakeholders, community and the general public.
Reporting directly to the Head of Zoological Operations, the Curator of Animal Care – Birds & Small Mammals will play a key role in our animal management team. The Curator of Animal Care will be responsible for the coordination and administration of assigned animal collections and associated conservation initiatives; maintaining the quality standards of accredited zoological practices. The incumbent will ensure high standards of collection management are maintained by the sections under their responsibility.
- Plan animal husbandry activities to ensure daily operational needs are met
- Implement project plans affecting collections under your management
- Develop protocols and procedures within the zoological operations
- Involvement with design of animal habitats and exhibits
- Lead an animal care team including the supervision and management of your assigned staff group including recruitment, orientation, scheduling, training, coaching, performance management and related duties as assigned
- Involvement in preparing and administrating applicable budgets
- Recruit, train and mentor zoo staff
- Maintain accurate records
- Adhere to the APC-CUPE Collective Agreement
- A bachelor’s degree in zoological science, wildlife management, or related field
- A minimum of 2-3 years of curatorial experience including supervisory skills in an accredited zoological facility with an advanced understanding of behavioural husbandry tools and methods
- Proficiency with computer programs including Microsoft Office software
- Advanced verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with co-workers, volunteers and visitors
- Aptitude for learning new technology with experience using Microsoft office Products (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook)
- Skills in responding to emergencies
- Ability to conduct impartial, accurate investigations
- Physical capability to perform the duties of the position
What we have to offer:
This is a permanent, full time position located in Winnipeg, Manitoba Canada located at 55 Pavilion Crescent (postal code R3P 2N6). This is an English speaking role, however, bilingual in French is considered an asset. It offers a competitive compensation package with a starting salary in the range of $60,000-$70,000 CAD based on experience and up to $5,000 in relocation expenses depending on the candidate’s home location. Your total rewards package also includes a company paid health, dental, life insurance, accidental death & disability and health care spending account as well as an employee paid long-term disability plan. A group RRSP and an employee assistance plan is also part of the incredible benefits package. Vacation pay is accrued at eight (8) percent equating to 4 weeks of holiday time per year.
Successful candidates may be subject to a Criminal Record Check and Credit Check.
For more information and to apply please click here.