May 8, 2018
About Assiniboine Park Conservancy
Creating the future vision for one of Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada’s most prized treasures, Assiniboine Park Conservancy (APC) located at 55 Pavilion Crescent in Winnipeg is the not-for-profit organization that oversees Assiniboine Park’s operations and ensures its ongoing redevelopment and financial viability. Our team is inspired to create and deliver extraordinary experiences for the people who visit and use the Park and Zoo including building friendly, supportive, effective relationships with stakeholders, community and the general public.
Flexible schedule depending on special and evening events.
Days, evenings and weekends including holidays.
We have a need for one (1) Zookeeper 1 position who will report to a Curator within the Assiniboine Park Zoo. The Zookeeper will maintain high standards of maintenance and care for a diverse collection of animals in their performance of daily animal husbandry duties and respond to issues pertaining to wildlife across the Park according to the quality standards of accredited zoological practices. As a Zookeeper you:
- May participate in veterinary care, conservation, and research programs under the direction of zoo veterinarians, conservation staff and approved partners,
- Will maintain accurate daily records on animal behaviour, health, and welfare according to zoo policies and procedures.
- Must follow all health and safety legislation, regulations and policies,
- Will provide visitor services such as delivering presentations and responding to general inquiries from the public while completing daily animal husbandry activities
- Maintain exhibits
- Prepare and provide animal diets
- Inspect enclosures
- Implementing prescribed animal enrichment programs
The hourly rate of pay for this position is $20.12
(APC-CUPE Local 500)
If you are interested in this opportunity, please APPLY below with your
by May 15, 2018
Candidates must have:
- A bachelor’s degree in zoological science, wildlife management or a related field with a minimum of two years zoo experience in an accredited zoological facility. A combination of experience and education may be considered.
- A good understanding of captive animal management and behaviours for a wide variety of exotic and domestic animals
- A valid Manitoba Class 5 Driver’s License
Candidates must demonstrate:
- Effective communication skills for maintaining effective, respectful working relationships with fellow employees and relating well with visitors
- Skills in responding to emergencies
- Basic knowledge of and experience with computer programs including Microsoft Office software
Candidates must be physically capable of performing the duties of the position (documentation of physical capacity may be required). Successful candidates will be subject to a Criminal Record Check.