The Director, Communications and Publishing leads development, implementation, management and evaluation of communications and engagement strategies to support IISD strategic priorities.
The Director, Communications and Publishing will develop a leading-edge communications plan for IISD, directly managing communications activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization’s reputation. The goal is to advance the organization’s position with relevant constituents, as well as to build broader awareness and a strong foundation for fundraising success.
The Director, Communications and Publishing will be responsible for IISD’s varied and integrated communications products and services including: research reports and other publications; websites, e-newsletters and other online communications including social media; traditional media and public relations; and marketing materials where appropriate.
Communications Strategy, Vision and Leadership
- Implement and update an innovative, creative communications plan for IISD, directly managing communications activities that promote, enhance, and protect the organization’s brand, reputation and visibility.
- Identify challenges and emerging communications issues faced by the organization. Work with leadership team and staff to recognize internal and external communications opportunities and solutions.
- Serve as communications advisor to IISD senior staff; perform risk assessments and assist with crisis management strategies.
- Oversee brand management and standards.
- Oversee development of all IISD’s corporate and project communications including the annual report, marketing materials and electronic communications including IISD’s website and new media. Manage relationships with associated vendors.
- Oversee Publishing Services policies and procedures.
- Liase with fundraising lead and Executive Assistant and Development Liaison on fundraising communication needs, directs production of fundraising materials.
- Lead IISD web presence and related protals.
- Provide oversight and guidance as necessary to the Media and Communications Coordinator on media interactions that help promote and/or impact the organization; approves all media releases, monitors internal compliance with social media policy.
- Oversee the day-to-day activities of the communications functions including managing budgets, planning and staff development.
- Manage a communications team across IISD offices.
- Promote a culture of high performance and continuous improvement that values learning and a commitment to quality.
- Mentor and develop staff using a supportive and collaborative approach on a consistent basis.
- Provide strategic communications advice, standards, guidelines and training to institute staff.
- Establish and monitor staff performance and development goals, assign accountabilities, set objectives, establish priorities, conduct annual performance appraisals.
- Minimum 10 years of communications and publishing experience.
- University degree in related field, advanced degree and/ or certificates an asset.
- Experience in Canada and internationally.
- Superior communications skills, both spoken and written. Fluency in English and a second language preferable.
- Strong leadership and people management skills.
- Proven ability to develop and execute strategic and creative communications that help drive extensive and diverse media coverage.
The Director, Communications and Publishing reports to the President & CEO or his Designate. IISD promotes an employment climate of gender equity and diverse opportunities. Location is Winnipeg preferred, open to other Canadian locations.
We welcome all candidates, however only those currently eligible to work in Canada will be considered.
Application deadline: January 15, 2017
To apply visit: