Spence Neighbourhood Association is seeking an Environment and Open Spaces Coordinator (35 hours/week).
The Environment and Open Spaces coordinator will be a highly motivated individual, someone who understands the concerns of inner city communities and the need of community gardens and for green spaces. They will be able to manage and support community members and volunteers, and bring vision and guidance to the community. The coordinator will be a year round position with the core of the work being done from March until October during the gardening season. We are looking for someone highly motivated and able to advance the 5 year community green plan and make the Spence neighbourhood gardens and parks the best they can be.
The Spence Neighbourhood Association would like to encourage applications from qualified candidates who reflect the diversity of our community.
• Manage and maintain all community gardens and green spaces. Including supporting local composting
• Manage, organize and support community gardeners, provide training and workshops and support the needs of gardeners
• Manage, organize and support the Environment and Open Spaces community committee
• Support city funded park development in the Spence Neighbourhood
• Secure purchase , donation or long term agreement for m the City of Winnipeg for garden spaces, including working on land trusts, and working closely with the housing committee
• Work with the community to create and implement the SNA community 5 year green plan
• Make community gardens and green spaces a connecting place for community members. Coordinate with community groups to achieve plans set out in the green plan.
• Coordinate annual events like tree banding, community clean ups, workshops etc
• Expand and develop ways to engage youth in the community garden work.
• Manage and support summer staff and first jobs for youth staff and volunteers
• Work with youth staff to coordinate summer kids garden programming
• Fundraise for sustainability of coordinator position as well as current and future work.
• Work with SNA staff on organization wide events
• Relevant education/experience in gardening/ environmental activities, active transport, program facilitation, waste reduction or other relevant fields
• Experience working with inner city communities
• Experience facilitating youth-led workshops similar programming
• Knowledge of community resources
• Self motivated with excellent time management skills
• Excellent organizational and administrative skills
• Excellent oral and written communication skills
• Knowledge of Microsoft Office
• Ability to provide a Criminal Record check and Child Abuse Registry check including the vulnerable persons section
• Working cell phone
• Current First aid, CPR training
• Valid driver’s licence
• Experience working with or in inner city communities
• Experience with gardening, greening and horticulture
Hours and remuneration:
The Employee agrees to fulfill a 35 hour work week. SNA agrees to pay $16.50-$17.50 per hour on a bi-weekly schedule, with hours paid as worked. Required CPP, EI, and tax deductions will be made and employer contributions will be paid. Responsibilities may require flexible hours to be worked (i.e., evenings and weekends). However, regular hours will be between 10:00 and 6:00 pm Monday to Friday.
Deadline for Application: 4PM March 22, 2017
Please application (cover letter and resume):
Jamil Mahmood, Executive Director
Spence Neighbourhood Association
615 Ellice Ave. | Winnipeg, MB | R3G 0A4