Location: 460 Munroe Ave & 180 Poplar Avenue, Winnipeg
Start Date: July 3, 2018
Application Deadline: June 1, 2018
Frontier College is a national, non-profit literacy organization which was founded in 1899. We work with children, teens, adults and families who need help to improve their literacy skills. We work with a variety of community-based organizations to deliver volunteer-run, community-based programs across Canada. Frontier College is accredited under the Imagine Canada Standards program.
We are seeking mature, responsible, committed, and self-motivated individuals to fill 1 Camp Administrator and 2 Camp Counselor positions (Green Team position) in our Elmwood Summer Literacy Camp program being offered in collaboration with Chalmers Neighbourhood Renewal Corporation and Elmwood Community Resource Centre.
Frontier College Camp Counselors and Camp Administrator work very closely as a team. All positions work under the remote mentoring/supervision and report directly to the Manitoba Camp Coordinator and/or Regional Manager.
Major Duties and Responsibilities (All positions)
- Day to day planning & facilitating of literacy embedded activities to a large group of children between the ages of 5-12
- Incorporate literacy based learning in daily activities and encourage the exploration of learning and reading
- Maintaining positive relationships with community members/caregivers and encourage their participation in camp
- Recruit and schedule community members, parents, and caregivers to be guests at camp
- Maintain accurate camp records on a daily and weekly basis
- Gathering feedback from caregivers, parents, community members, & campers via the surveys/testimonials
- Promote the safety and wellbeing of all participants during camp hours
- Ensuring all program directives and procedures are followed correctly and accurately
- Attend and participate in all camp orientation, training, and evaluation
- Other duties as assigned by Frontier College
Major Duties and Responsibilities (Camp Administrator only)
In addition to the duties and responsibilities listed above, the Camp Admin is also responsible for:
- Mentoring and onsite supervision of 3 Camp Counselors
- Updating and keeping in constant communication with the Camp Coordinator
- Keeping daily camper attendance and tracking statistics for reporting purposes
- Assist Camp Counselors in reporting various camp data and submit completed reports
- Submit camp staff timesheets each week to the Camp Coordinator
- Assist with the purchase of camp supplies and snacks from the local store(s) as needed
- Assist the Camp Coordinator in solving problems/issues as they may arise
Skills and Attributes
- Minimum 18 years old
- A positive, friendly, and approachable disposition
- Adaptable, self-motivated, responsible, and enthusiastic individual
- Superior planning, organizational, and time-management skills
- Able to work within a team environment and with different personalities/working styles, even in challenging situations
- Strong problem solving and conflict resolution skills
- Ability to manage challenging behaviors within a large group setting
- Demonstrated experience working with groups of children and/or youth
- Familiar with local leaders, elders, culture, customs, traditions, and events
– Experience working with children or youth in an educational setting or summer camp setting
– Possess Standard/Emergency First Aid certification, which is valid for the duration of the employment
Screening & Selection:
Candidates will be screened through:
- Reference Checks (names & phone numbers of 3 references will be required)
- Criminal Record Check (CRC) with a Vulnerable Sector Check (VSC) will be required
*Successful candidates are required to provide a current CRC (new or not older than 6 months from the term start date) with vulnerable sector search. Frontier College will cover the cost of the CRC and VSC (a receipt must be provided)*
$16.00/hour for 35 hours per week
Green Team Camp Counselor:
$14.00/hour for 35 hours per week
July 3-6th, 2018 (Mandatory for all staff)
Training will be held in Winnipeg. Expenses for meals will be paid as per Frontier College policy.
Interested candidates should send resumé and covering letter to:
Allie Karasiuk – Manitoba Camp Coordinator
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or Fax: 204-421-6901
Closing date: June 1, 2018
For more information about Frontier College visit www.frontiercollege.ca
You will be contacted if you are selected for an interview.
We are an equal opportunity employer. We welcome applications from diverse individuals who self-identify on the basis of any of the protected grounds under the Human Rights Code. We are committed to integration and maintaining the independence of individuals and removing barriers to accessibility in the workplace. We are committed to full compliance with the Human Rights Code, the Accessibility for Ontarians with Disabilities Act, the Occupational Health and Safety Act, and all other applicable legislation.
We invite applicants to request accommodation, as required, throughout the application and hiring process.