Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC), one of Canada’s leading conservation organizations, is looking for a creative communications professional to join our team!
For 77 years, DUC staff and supporters have worked tirelessly to conserve wetlands, water and wildlife. The country needs to hear our story. Conservation has never been more important to our environment, our economy and our future.
We need someone who understands the importance of marketing our programs to a diverse group of stakeholders, including farmers and funding partners, to increase their awareness of conservation opportunities by working with DUC; someone who understands the “art” of communicating science into something the general public can digest.
Our communications specialist is proficient in a range of communications platforms and will provide communications and marketing materials to the conservation team.
The successful candidate exercises journalistic discipline, has a healthy understanding of how the world works and appreciates the nuances of not-for-profit conservation work. An affinity for the outdoors, and the lifestyles associated with it, will allow you to better understand DUC’s culture.
Meeting deadlines is key. Strong planning and project management skill, as well as the ability to work creatively with colleagues, are essential. Understanding the use of photography and video is an important part of the creative process, although technical skills are not the priority.
An appropriate education is important, but we recognize it can come from a variety of disciplines. You may have a degree or diploma in communications, marketing, journalism or science. Whatever your academic journey, it has led you to this opportunity with DUC.
- Excellent writing, editing and proofing skills; strong story-telling abilities.
- Network of established media contacts with demonstrated ability to get stories published in the media
- Demonstrated ability to identify communication and media opportunities
- Ability to develop a variety of marketing & communications materials for various mediums (i.e. advertisements, brochures, posters, TV ads, flyers, media releases, social media, etc).
- Web writing experience and direct marketing via social media
- Experience in, and/or, an affinity to, the ag sector is important
- Previous experience working for conservation organization would also be considered an asset.
This position can be based in Brandon, MB or from our national headquarters at Oak Hammock Marsh (near Stonewall, MB) – both are dog friendly offices!
How to Apply
Working for DUC is a career highlight for many staff. Let us know if making a difference is important to you. If you’re interested in this opportunity, please submit your cover letter (including salary expectations) and resume for confidential consideration to the attention of:
Carly Bjornsson, HR Generalist
Ducks Unlimited Canada
Closing deadline: Friday June 16, 2017 at 4:00pm (CDT)
Please quote “Communications Specialist – MB” in the subject line of your application.