Ducks Unlimited Canada’s Native Plant Solutions is the most experienced company in Canada in naturalized stormwater system design, construction, and management. We are seeking highly energetic and motivated individuals to fill the role of Summer Conservation Technician in Winnipeg from May to August 2017.
Duties May Include:
- Day-to-day operations and maintenance of NPS’ wetland and upland projects within and around Winnipeg, which may include seeding, chemical and mechanical weed control, conducting controlled burns, fence installation, installation of erosion control products, wetland hand-planting, vegetation monitoring, transect survey data collection, and other tasks as required.
- Relevant work experience in one or more of the following specialties: plant and/or wetland ecology, agriculture/farming, greenspace management, plant science, or landscaping.
- Ability to perform rigorous physical fieldwork under a variety of weather conditions, lift 50lbs, and crouch, bend, stretch, or stand for extended periods of time.
- Experience in plant identification, weed management, herbicide handling and application, soil erosion management, performing transect surveys, or establishment of annual and perennial crops is considered an asset.
- Willing and able to work flexible fulltime hours with little notice (including overtime, early mornings, evenings or weekends).
- Strong work ethic and willingness to “get hands dirty”.
- Practical field skills, excellent communication and organizational skills.
- Able to work independently or within a dynamic team environment.
- Experience operating a variety of farm and/or field equipment (tractors, seeders, ATVs, sprayers) is considered an asset.
- Enthusiasm for the outdoors and environmental conservation.
- Must hold a valid driver’s license in good standing, and must be legally entitled to work in Canada.
The wage for these summer positions is $15.00/hr, based on a 35 hour week. Deadline for applications is February 26, 2017.
If you are qualified and interested in this opportunity, please forward your cover letter (including date of availability for work), resume, three work related references, and academic transcript (if a current or graduated student) by email for confidential consideration to the attention of:
Contact: Sachelle Johnston
Native Plant Solutions – Ducks Unlimited Canada
Unit A, 1238 Chevrier Blvd, Winnipeg MB R3T 1Y3
While Native Plant Solutions would like to thank all applicants, only those considered for an interview will be contacted.
Native Plant Solutions is a consulting branch of Ducks Unlimited Canada and draws on over 75 years of wetland and native grassland knowledge, research and restoration experience. We use sound science to restore and create sustainable landscapes. See www.nativeplantsolutions.ca for more info.