Food Matters Manitoba is seeking a Newcomer Program Coordinator for a 1 year term, beginning July 2017. The Newcomer Program Coordinator plans, implements, and evaluates activities related to the Growing Roots program, including the Newcomer Food and Nutrition Network, Food Handlers and nutrition education training programs, as well as urban gardens. To do so, the Coordinator will develop and maintain strong community partnerships and engage newcomer community members in program planning and implementation.
Work Week: 37.5 hours
Starting salary: $35,100 – $39,000 ($18 – $20 / hour)
The Newcomer Program Coordinator, under the Program Manager, will:
• Develop, coordinate and facilitate culturally-relevant and high quality training about nutrition, food preparation, food handling and gardening.
• Nurture strong relationships with newcomer partners and other key partners to enhance project implementation, build community capacity and share about the work of Food Matters Manitoba.
• Support the expansion of opportunities for newcomers to participate in gardening by identifying and facilitating the development of new sites and supporting other organizations in doing so.
• Support other organizations in the implementation of newcomer nutrition education programs
• Coordinate the Newcomer Food and Nutrition Network to increase collaboration and the capacity of the sector to address newcomer food security.
• Oversee Newcomer Nutrition Mentor Program.
• Recruit, train and coordinate program volunteers and community facilitators.
• Purchase required supplies, including supplies for gardening and nutrition programs.
• Identify funding opportunities including in-kind contributions to support programs in partnership with program manager.
• Lead the evaluation of the Growing Roots program.
• Support the work of the Development and Communications department by sharing stories from the work of the Growing Roots program, providing notification of potential media or donor opportunities, and providing opportunities for Development and Communications staff to engage with the work of the Growing Roots program.
• Identify opportunities for collaboration with other staff and programs at Food Matters Manitoba.
• Participate in relevant staff working groups.
• Participate in staff meetings.
• Maintain files and records in accordance with Food Matters Manitoba policy.
• Assist with other projects and tasks as requested.
• Minimum Bachelors degree in Nutrition
• Minimum of 3 years’ experience in program development and coordination
• Experience facilitating workshops and training
• Experience working with newcomer communities
• Excellent interpersonal, verbal, written and organizational skills
• Self-motivated and a strong team player
• A valid driver’s license
The position is based in Winnipeg.
The successful applicant will complete a criminal record check and child abuse registry check.
Thank you for your interest. Only candidates to be interviewed will be contacted. Those interested in applying for this position are invited to forward their resume and cover letter by email to email@example.com (Subject Line: Newcomer Program Coordinator) by 11:59PM on June 21st, 2017.
Food Matters Manitoba strives to be a safe and accessible workplace that celebrates diversity and represents the community that we live and work in. We encourage individuals from traditionally socially excluded groups to apply for the position.