Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC), Canada’s leader in wetland conservation, is seeking an experienced government affairs professional and policy specialist to join our team.
In this position, you will be responsible for:
- identifying and analyzing existing and proposed Manitoba government policies, legislation, regulations and programs related to boreal forest conservation and protection;
- identifying opportunities that contribute to achieving boreal forest wetland conservation and DUC’s mission;
- working with DUC policy staff, other stakeholders and government and coordinate efforts to further our conservation cause.
You possess strong analytical, writing, organization and communication skills. You have a good understanding of Northern Manitoba, its boreal region and associated land use activities and are skilled in public policy development and implementation and in building and fostering relationships.
You are an enthusiastic team player with strong emotional intelligence and a self-starter who can work cross-functionally and independently. You are capable of taking calculated risks and enjoy thinking outside the box.
Your minimum five years of experience working in the public policy field in combination with experience working with the public service and/or elected officials make you the ideal candidate for this position.
- Bachelor’s degree in public administration, political science, conservation or a related field; a Master’s degree is considered a strong asset.
- Well-developed knowledge of public policy, the legislative process and the operational structure of the Manitoba government.
- Demonstrated understanding of the boreal and associated land-use activities
- Highly-developed research, writing and analytical skills.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Previous experience working on legislative and policy matters for a conservation organization or within the Manitoba government would be considered an asset.
- Must have a passion for conservation.
This 3-year term position will be based from our dog-friendly office at Oak Hammock Marsh, near Stonewall, MB.
How to Apply
If you are qualified and interested in this opportunity, please submit your cover letter (including salary expectations) and resume for confidential consideration to the attention of:
Carly Bjornsson, HR Generalist Ducks Unlimited Canada
Closing deadline: September 30, 2016
Please quote “Policy Specialist Boreal Forest” in the subject line of your application.
Ducks Unlimited Canada (DUC) is the leader in wetland conservation. A registered charity, DUC partners with government, industry, non-profit organizations and landowners to conserve wetlands that are critical to waterfowl, wildlife and the environment. Learn more atducks.ca.
While DUC would like to thank all applicants, only candidates considered for an interview will be contacted.
When applying, please indicate that you saw this posting at GoodWork.ca.