nder the direction of the Director of Operations, the incumbent is responsible for the day-to-day operation and ongoing maintenance of all streets, lanes, sidewalks, parking lots, land drainage systems and solid waste collection throughout the City of Selkirk.
· Citizen and Public Focus
· City of Selkirk Consciousness
· Teamwork and Ambassadorship
· Integrity and Trust
· Ethics and Values
· Strategic Results Orientated
· Decision Making and Judgment
Leadership Core Competencies
· Mentorship, Directing and Developing Staff
· Dealing with Ambiguity
· Decision Quality
· Priority Setting
· Motivating Others
· Interpersonal Savvy
1. Leadership & Employee Development:
- In consultation with the Director establish annual goals and objectives for the Division.
- Supports an environment that encourages creative thinking and innovation; stimulates others to learn; and inspires others to perform to their highest potential.
- Manages appropriate succession and training plans and ensures employees are correctly developed to perform their duties.
- Influences and inspires others to achieve goals and objectives.
- Builds and maintains positive and healthy relationships.
- Leads others in adapting to innovative work environments and ensures awareness of Department initiatives, decisions, committees, policies, etc., is communicated.
- Communicates and guides others to understand delivery of effective services and achievement of objectives and interpersonal relationships.
- Promotes productive employee relations while guiding and coaching employees and supervisors.
- Demonstrates a commitment to the organization by actively participating in committees, programs, and organizational initiatives.
2. Exceptional Customer Service:
- Ensure the efficient and effective provision of services to Citizens, and respond to inquiries from the public and other Departments.
- Provide a vibrant, safe and healthy community, by researching all matters impacting upon the use of the road network and the land drainage network within the community and to assist in the preparation of long range and short term planning.
- Provide maximum value from community resources, by being directly responsible for the operation and maintenance of the City’s road network and land drainage network within the jurisdiction of the Division.
- As part of environmental stewardship to improve City practices and services in solid waste management, responsible to prepare reports, policies, procedures and programs for accomplishing approved objectives.
- Develop, implement and review methods, standards, scheduling and reporting systems for the effective delivery of Municipal services by the Division.
3. Financial Management:
- Prepare and submit the Division’s annual Operating Budget to the Department Head and effectively monitor and control all Division expenditures and revenues.
- Advise the Director and undertake the purchase of equipment, tools and supplies for the Division in accordance with the City of Selkirk tendering and purchasing policies.
- Understand and comply with the City’s Capital Asset Management policies.
- Support the development and delivery of the City’s Capital Asset Management Program by providing professional advice and undertaking related tasks as needed.
4. Administrate Plan Management:
- Develop plans to meet the goals and objectives of the Division.
- Direct, administer and monitor all work assignments, equipment and inventory supplies within the Division, including the maintenance of records to ensure the efficient and effective provision of services to other Departments and Divisions.
- Direct work assignments of contractors hired within the Division and monitor the completion of all assignments as per the contract documents.
- Undertake the annual employee evaluations of personnel in the Division and recommend training and development programs for personnel.
- Participate in the hiring process for personnel within the Division as per the City’s hiring policy.
- Participate as a member of the Departmental Management Team. Responsible for the Division’s committee meeting agendas and attending meetings as required.
- Respond to all inquiries from Senior Management.
- Work co-operatively with all City Departments and personnel to support corporate initiatives.
5. Safety and Emergency Management:
- To respond to emergency situations after normal working hours, assessing the need for and mobilizing manpower and equipment to address the situation in an expedient and cost effective manner.
- To ensure all safety procedures and respectful workplace standards are followed by all personnel throughout the Division.
- To act as a member of the EMO and provide support services within the City of Selkirk Emergency Plan in the event of an emergency as required.
6. Perform other duties as assigned.
Skills, Knowledge and Abilities
Minimum qualifications shall include:
- Successful completion of a Diploma or Degree from a recognized post-secondary institution in Business Management or equivalent combination of education and experience in a related field.
- A minimum of 3 years progressive experience in management and supervision of staff preferably in a municipal or unionized environment.
- Proficient in using Microsoft Office Suite, email and internet, and the ability to learn new technology as required.
- A valid Class 5 Manitoba Driver’s License.
- Successful completion of courses in supervision or management of personnel, budget and record keeping.
- Valid First Aid and CPR Certification.
- Excellent communication skills both orally and in writing. This includes the ability to understand and deliver written and verbal instructions.
- Experience providing exceptional customer service.
- Certification in Asset Management.
- Certification in Professional Leadership Development.
- E.T. designation in Municipal Engineering.
As a Management Official, the incumbent shall have the supervisory responsibility for the operation of the public works functions of the Corporation. This includes being directly responsible for the supervision and safety of 9 full time, as well as casual staff.
Establish and maintain positive working relationships with employees at all levels of the organization, external contacts and the public.
Comprehension and Judgment
The incumbent must possess an in-depth understanding and ability to interpret the policies of the Corporation. An ability to effectively communicate with all internal and external clients of the Operations Department.
The incumbent will exercise a high degree of independent judgment in the provision of services by the Division within the approved policies and procedures of the Corporation. This position shall have the authority, as approved within the annual operating and capital budgets, to financially commit the Corporation to expenditures as provided by the Chief Administrative Officer.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $74,773.00 to $84,158.00 /year
- Management: 3 years (Required)
- Supervising: 3 years (Required)
- Associate (Required)
License or certification:
- Class 5 Drivers License (Required)
For more information and to apply, please click here.