Save Our Seine River Environment Inc. (SOS) seeks an energetic Managing Director to
collaborate with the Board of Directors. The Managing Director is responsible for SOS’s overall office management and organizational operations per its Vision, Objectives, and strategic priorities. SOS is a fully remote organization.
This position requires 25 – 30 hours per week and may include evening meetings. The hours are flexible. This is an excellent opportunity for an individual to work with a long-established, highly regarded, and environmentally focused, non-profit organization.
Job Type: 1-year term (with the possibility of extension if funding becomes available)
Salary: $25 – $30 per hour, depending on qualifications and experience
Location: Virtual office, must reside in Winnipeg or surrounding area
Start Date: January 3, 2023
The SOS vision is to create a sustainable and protected urban Seine River (SR) Greenway that provides a healthy habitat for wildlife that adds to the quality of life of all citizens. SOS has been active since 1990, incorporated in 1994, and is a registered charity.
● Preserve, protect and enhance the river and the Greenway
● Restore and repair the river and the Greenway
● Raise awareness and educate the public about the river, the Greenway, and the watershed
● Improve public access to the river and the Greenway
SOS Program Priorities and Activities
SOS conducts seasonal clean-ups in and around the Seine River. We restore natural habitats, advocate for preventing and removing river contaminants and promote ecologically responsible urban development. We host public land care activities, encourage trail development, support research, and advise government agencies.
SOS prioritizes collaboration and knowledge sharing. We look for ways to engage the broader community in our activities, including schools, other local organizations, and government.
SOS is a non-profit organization. Various stakeholders fund our activities, and fundraising is an important activity.
Areas of Responsibility
The Managing Director will be responsible for the following key areas of activity. Several
factors will influence the amount of time they will spend on a given area, including funder
priorities, Board capacity, and partnerships. The following percentages are approximates. The scope and complexities of responsibilities may change from time to time depending on the Organization’s needs. The Managing Director will need to adapt to the evolving priorities and activities.
1. General office administration and operations management (30%)
2. Program Management (25%)
3. Fund Development (20%)
4. Board and Committee Support (10%)
5. Communication (10%)
6. Other (5%)
● Preferably 2-3 years of experience in non-profit management
● Undergraduate degree or equivalent experience
Skills, Knowledge, and Attributes
● Strong project management skills
● Excellent organizational skills, including planning, delegating, program development, and task tracking
● Highly organized and efficient
● Advanced Microsoft Suite skills and video conferencing technology
● Team player and collaborator
● Great communicator
● Good judgment
SOS would also consider the following additional Skills and Experience:
● Financial Management
● Risk Management
● Human Resource Management
● Fund Development Experience
● Environmental Related Degree/Training
PLEASE SUBMIT YOUR COVER LETTER AND RESUME TO: email@example.com
The closing date for applications is November 30, 2022.
SOS is an equal-opportunity employer that values diversity in the workplace. We thank all applicants for their interest in this position, but only short-listed candidates will be contacted for interviews.