Green Action Centre Seeks Project Assistant for Green Audits Program
Interested in your skills development and working to help organizations to understand their environmental footprint, reduce carbon emissions, and strengthen sustainability?
If you’re passionate about the planet and want to make a positive impact, this is an excellent opportunity for you.
Position Description: We are seeking a self-directed, energetic and organized individual to support our new program focus on Green Audits. The Green Audits Program Assistant will help promote our Green Audits Program as well as assist with development and delivery of green audits, which may include scheduling meetings with groups, assisting with delivering presentations, undertaking waste audits, and researching information or writing reports for clients.
Background: Green Action Centre is an environmental nonprofit based in Winnipeg and serving Manitoba. We are a registered charity, governed by an elected board of directors, with a core group of passionate, dedicated staff. We promote greener living through environmental education and encourage practical green solutions for households, workplaces, schools, and communities. Our primary areas of focus are healthy and green commuting, composting and waste reduction, sustainable living, and resource conservation. We also run a social enterprise, Compost Winnipeg, which provides organic waste collection services for residences, businesses and multi-family dwellings in the Winnipeg area. Our office is located in Treaty 1 territory and the homeland of the Métis Nation in the heart of downtown Winnipeg, and we are part of the Manitoba Eco-Centre on the 3rd floor of the MEC building.
The Role & Responsibilities
We need someone eager to learn and, at the same time, capable and with initiative to make things happen and broaden our community impact. The Green Audits Program Assistant plays a key role in our efforts to increase our public profile and our work with businesses and community organizations. This position reports directly to the Green Audits Program Lead and works collaboratively with the Office Coordinator and other program staff.
Responsibilities: In cooperation and with guidance from the Green Audits Program Lead and other Green Action Centre staff, the Assistant will have the following duties and responsibilities:
● Research and identify relevant information on Climate Change (origin, causes, consequences, solutions) from a global perspective to a local lens.
● Liaise with clients, potential and current, for the purposes of service delivery, networking and business development.
● Develop visual presentations and resources for sessions with clients.
● Schedule meetings and sessions for clients, partners, and stakeholders.
● Prepare and distribute surveys.
● Support the facilitation of building inspections, energy analysis, and waste audits.
● Assist with registering and analyzing data collected from surveys, meetings and inspections, and prepare project proposals and reports.
● Support the coordination and delivery of sessions and workshops for clients.
● Work with identified third-parties to develop a strong project management system.
● Contribute to the overall objectives of the organization including staffing displays, supporting key Green Action Centre events, attending regular staff meetings and routine office tasks
● Other duties, as assigned.
Qualifications & Skills :
● Post-secondary graduate with focus on environmental science or other relevant area of study.
● Minimum one year of related work experience
● Must be under the age of 30 to qualify for wage subsidy program.
● Experience with MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) and with video-conferencing (Zoom, MS Teams).
● Knowledge of global and local environmental and sustainability issues and demonstrated commitment to the practices of sustainable living.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English including experience in public speaking and/or delivering presentations.
● Experience in budgeting and reporting is considered an asset.
● Basic graphic design and photography skills are considered an asset.
● Bilingual (English/French) candidates are an asset.
● Ability to listen actively to and respect, consider and incorporate the views of others.
● Ability to think creatively to find solutions and see opportunities.
● Organized, professional, and reliable
● Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines
● Strong interpersonal skills, positive work attitude, and collaborative working style.
● Self-initiating and thrives in an independent working environment.
● Able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive data.
Physical & Other Demands
● Comfortable working in an open office environment.
● Able to work occasional evenings and weekends, as required.
● Willing to travel on occasion, as required.
Diversity and Inclusion
Green Action Centre is committed to being an inclusive organization and is working to better reflect and represent the diversity of the communities we serve. We encourage members from the following communities to apply and self-declare in your application: Indigenous, Black, People of Colour, Immigrant or refugee, People with disabilities, LGBT2SQ+.
Being a member of an equity group is among our hiring selection criteria. Your declaration of membership in any of these groups will remain confidential.
Green Action Centre follows and/or exceeds Manitoba Public Health COVID-19 guidelines and protocols. Full COVID-19 vaccination is a condition of employment with the exception of acceptable, documented medical exemptions.
Application Deadline: 4:00 pm CDT, Friday, January 28th, 2022.
Remuneration: $19.00/hour (35 hours/week). A monthly Winnipeg Transit Eco-Pass, or financial equivalent for cycling or walking, is provided through Green Action Centre’s “Active Transportation Benefit” policy. Health and Benefits Program after 3-month probationary period.
To Apply: Applications will be accepted by email only until the deadline. If this opportunity interests you, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Green Audits Program Assistant Position” in the subject heading.
Please note to be an eligible candidate you must be a post-secondary graduate between 18-30 years of age and a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have Canadian refugee status, which qualifies you for Eco Canada’s wage subsidy program.
While we thank all applicants for their interest in the position, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.