Delta Waterfowl is seeking a dedicated technician(s) for a research project investigating the influence of predator reduction on nest success of canvasbacks and other overwater-nesting ducks in southwestern Manitoba, Canada. Beginning in early March, technician(s) will assist three professional trappers with predator removal efforts, including trap deployment/checks and other methods of predator removal. Additional duties will include contacting private landowners to acquire permission for research activities. The work schedule will consist of long hours with few days off during the project. During slow periods, technician may assist with other tasks including construction of nest structures, searching for and monitoring duck nests, and planning events. Position will end 15 July; however, additional research opportunities may extend into mid-August. $1,800/month + housing and vehicle will be provided for this project.
· Completion of a firearms/hunter safety course and familiarity with shotguns.
· Must possess valid driver’s license with a clean driving record (no DUIs).
· Must have or be able to quickly obtain a passport for working in Canada.
· Must possess or be working towards a degree in Biology, Natural Resources, Wildlife Management, or a related field.
· Must have a positive attitude and a passion for waterfowl and conservation.
· Working knowledge of common duck nest predators and their ecology.
· Strong work ethic with ability to complete tasks independently with minimal oversight.
· Knowledge of common trapping methods
· Good communication skills with ability to work with private landowners.
· Ability to identify corvid species by sight and sound.
· Ability to multi-task while being detail oriented is highly desirable.
· Good organizational and data keeping/entry skills.
· Ability to live in close quarters and co-exist with a large group of people.
Please send one document (doc/pdf) that contains a cover letter, CV (including contact info for three professional references), and transcripts to Matt Davis (email@example.com). Please write “Delta Waterfowl Technician” in the subject line and note your earliest start date within the email. Position will be filled as soon as an application from a qualified candidate is received.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org