About Green Action Centre: We are an environmental, non-profit organization focused on providing education and practical solutions for sustainable living. For over 35 years, Manitobans have looked to us for information on sustainable transportation, composting and waste reduction, and resource conservation. We are governed by an elected board of directors, with a core group of passionate, dedicated staff that promote greener living and down-to-earth solutions related to climate change, sustainable transportation, overconsumption and waste reduction for households, workplaces, schools, and communities. Our office is located in Treaty 1 territory and the homeland of the Métis Nation in downtown Winnipeg, and we are part of the Manitoba Eco-Centre on the 3rd floor of the MEC building. Find more information at: greenactioncentre.ca
Compost Winnipeg—Green Action Centre’s environmentally-driven social enterprise—was officially launched in 2016, with a mission to manage organic waste responsibly and reduce greenhouse gas emissions in Winnipeg. It provides fee-based organics collection to residences and businesses, resulting in organic materials being diverted from the landfill. Learn more at: compostwinnipeg.ca
The Role & Responsibilities
The Position: Under the direction of the Board of Directors (the “Board”), the Executive Director is the collaborative leader and chief spokesperson for Green Action Centre and is responsible for the day-to-day management of our highly respected and results-oriented organization. The Executive Director is an experienced professional familiar with the funding and operational challenges common to non-profit organizations and possesses the financial acumen, as well as the strategic and organizational planning skills, to lead the organization and maintain positive relationships with staff, clients, key stakeholders, and the public.
The Executive Director has a passion for positive environmental action and is responsible for the continuing management and administrative functions that are necessary to sustain Green Action Centre’s programs and operations, while ensuring they are consistent with the vision, mission, values, bylaws, principles, and policies of the organization.
Key Tasks and Accountabilities:
Knowledge, Experience and Characteristics:
Diversity and Inclusion
Green Action Centre is committed to developing a diverse, inclusive workplace and is striving to better reflect and represent the diversity of the communities we serve. Qualified candidates from diverse backgrounds including racial, ethnic, sexual orientation, gender identification, or physical abilities are encouraged to apply.
Green Action Centre follows and/or exceeds Manitoba Public Health COVID-19 guidelines and protocols. Proof of full COVID-19 immunization is a condition of employment with the exception of acceptable, documented medical exemptions.
Interested individuals are invited to submit a resume and a maximum two-page cover letter outlining how they meet the position qualifications and why they are the ideal candidate to be the next leader of Green Action Centre.
Application Deadline: Applications will be accepted until 11:00 PM Central February 6, 2022.
To Apply: Email your resume, cover letter and include 3 professional references to ExecSearch@greenactioncentre.ca with “Green Action Centre Executive Director Recruitment” in the subject heading.
No phone calls, please. We thank all applicants for their interest, however, only those who are selected for an interview will be contacted.
Green Action Centre Seeks Project Assistant for Green Audits Program
Interested in your skills development and working to help organizations to understand their environmental footprint, reduce carbon emissions, and strengthen sustainability?
If you’re passionate about the planet and want to make a positive impact, this is an excellent opportunity for you.
Position Description: We are seeking a self-directed, energetic and organized individual to support our new program focus on Green Audits. The Green Audits Program Assistant will help promote our Green Audits Program as well as assist with development and delivery of green audits, which may include scheduling meetings with groups, assisting with delivering presentations, undertaking waste audits, and researching information or writing reports for clients.
Background: Green Action Centre is an environmental nonprofit based in Winnipeg and serving Manitoba. We are a registered charity, governed by an elected board of directors, with a core group of passionate, dedicated staff. We promote greener living through environmental education and encourage practical green solutions for households, workplaces, schools, and communities. Our primary areas of focus are healthy and green commuting, composting and waste reduction, sustainable living, and resource conservation. We also run a social enterprise, Compost Winnipeg, which provides organic waste collection services for residences, businesses and multi-family dwellings in the Winnipeg area. Our office is located in Treaty 1 territory and the homeland of the Métis Nation in the heart of downtown Winnipeg, and we are part of the Manitoba Eco-Centre on the 3rd floor of the MEC building.
The Role & Responsibilities
We need someone eager to learn and, at the same time, capable and with initiative to make things happen and broaden our community impact. The Green Audits Program Assistant plays a key role in our efforts to increase our public profile and our work with businesses and community organizations. This position reports directly to the Green Audits Program Lead and works collaboratively with the Office Coordinator and other program staff.
Responsibilities: In cooperation and with guidance from the Green Audits Program Lead and other Green Action Centre staff, the Assistant will have the following duties and responsibilities:
● Research and identify relevant information on Climate Change (origin, causes, consequences, solutions) from a global perspective to a local lens.
● Liaise with clients, potential and current, for the purposes of service delivery, networking and business development.
● Develop visual presentations and resources for sessions with clients.
● Schedule meetings and sessions for clients, partners, and stakeholders.
● Prepare and distribute surveys.
● Support the facilitation of building inspections, energy analysis, and waste audits.
● Assist with registering and analyzing data collected from surveys, meetings and inspections, and prepare project proposals and reports.
● Support the coordination and delivery of sessions and workshops for clients.
● Work with identified third-parties to develop a strong project management system.
● Contribute to the overall objectives of the organization including staffing displays, supporting key Green Action Centre events, attending regular staff meetings and routine office tasks
● Other duties, as assigned.
Qualifications & Skills :
● Post-secondary graduate with focus on environmental science or other relevant area of study.
● Minimum one year of related work experience
● Must be under the age of 30 to qualify for wage subsidy program.
● Experience with MS Office (Word, PowerPoint, Excel) and with video-conferencing (Zoom, MS Teams).
● Knowledge of global and local environmental and sustainability issues and demonstrated commitment to the practices of sustainable living.
● Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English including experience in public speaking and/or delivering presentations.
● Experience in budgeting and reporting is considered an asset.
● Basic graphic design and photography skills are considered an asset.
● Bilingual (English/French) candidates are an asset.
● Ability to listen actively to and respect, consider and incorporate the views of others.
● Ability to think creatively to find solutions and see opportunities.
● Organized, professional, and reliable
● Ability to prioritize multiple tasks and meet deadlines
● Strong interpersonal skills, positive work attitude, and collaborative working style.
● Self-initiating and thrives in an independent working environment.
● Able to maintain confidentiality of sensitive data.
Physical & Other Demands
● Comfortable working in an open office environment.
● Able to work occasional evenings and weekends, as required.
● Willing to travel on occasion, as required.
Diversity and Inclusion
Green Action Centre is committed to being an inclusive organization and is working to better reflect and represent the diversity of the communities we serve. We encourage members from the following communities to apply and self-declare in your application: Indigenous, Black, People of Colour, Immigrant or refugee, People with disabilities, LGBT2SQ+.
Being a member of an equity group is among our hiring selection criteria. Your declaration of membership in any of these groups will remain confidential.
Green Action Centre follows and/or exceeds Manitoba Public Health COVID-19 guidelines and protocols. Full COVID-19 vaccination is a condition of employment with the exception of acceptable, documented medical exemptions.
Application Deadline: 4:00 pm CDT, Friday, January 28th, 2022.
Remuneration: $19.00/hour (35 hours/week). A monthly Winnipeg Transit Eco-Pass, or financial equivalent for cycling or walking, is provided through Green Action Centre’s “Active Transportation Benefit” policy. Health and Benefits Program after 3-month probationary period.
To Apply: Applications will be accepted by email only until the deadline. If this opportunity interests you, please email your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with “Green Audits Program Assistant Position” in the subject heading.
Please note to be an eligible candidate you must be a post-secondary graduate between 18-30 years of age and a Canadian citizen, permanent resident or have Canadian refugee status, which qualifies you for Eco Canada’s wage subsidy program.
While we thank all applicants for their interest in the position, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.