Academics for Climate
February 18, 2020 - 6:30 pm
People Power – the intersection between occupants and their buildings
February 20, 2020 - 2:00 pm
St Norbert Market – Saturday Winter Market
February 22, 2020 - 10:00 am
Prairie Maintenance/Conservation Technicians
The Assiniboine Rotary Club and the Friends of the Living Prairie Museum are looking to hire up to five individuals (dependent on funding approval) under the Urban Green Team and Canada Summer Jobs programs to help maintain rare tall grass prairie habitat.
PROJECT LOCATION: Living Prairie Museum, 2795 Ness Avenue
PROJECT/JOB DESCRIPTION: The Living Prairie Museum is a 12 ha tall grass prairie preserve with an interpretive centre. Our goal is to promote awareness and conservation of natural areas, specifically tall grass prairie, through environmental education. The preserve serves as a living museum and representation of this endangered ecosystem.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Assist with the removal of invasive plants from the tall grass prairie preserve
• Control aspen encroachment through girdling
• Assist with plantings and seedling maintenance
• Assist with special event promotion and delivery, and interpretive programs when required
• Applicants must be 15-30 years of age to qualify
• Enrollment in post-secondary education with specialization in Environmental Science, Biology or related field an asset
• Interest and general knowledge of Winnipeg’s natural areas
• Willingness to work outdoors (under adverse conditions, at times)
• Ability to work effectively both independently and as part of a team
• Self-motivated and reliable
• Ability to communicate effectively with the public
WAGE: $11.65 per hour + 4% vacation pay, Monday-Thursday (Green Team), or Monday to Friday (Canada Summer Jobs)
ANTICIPATED TERM: Potential for 350 hours (dependent on funding approval)
Approximate term: May 25th – Aug. 20th, 2020
Must complete all hours by Aug. 31st, 2020
BENEFITS TO EMPLOYEE:
• Play an integral role in the preservation of a unique natural area
• Gain familiarity with the tall grass prairie ecosystem and learn native plant identification
• Gain valuable experience in public speaking and public education
TO APPLY, SEND RESUME AND COVER LETTER TO:
Living Prairie Museum
2795 Ness Avenue
Wpg, MB R3J 3S4
phone: 204-832-0167; fax: 204-986-4172
DEADLINE: March 27th, 2020
Submit Resume and Cover Letter to email@example.com
Position Summary & Job Purpose:
The Zero Waste Coordinator is responsible for overall waste coordination and improvement of the waste management process. The Coordinator is responsible for collecting and analyzing data and monitoring the Organization’s waste management process, providing recommendations on best practices.
Duties & Responsibilities:
Division / Department Duties:
• Supports the Sustainability team improving the waste management practices
• Develops waste management policies for the Organization.
• Develops and monitors measurable waste management targets for the Organization.
• Helps implement the Zero Waste Management Program.
• Supports with Volunteer Engagement.
• Helps reduce the Festival’s landfill waste.
• Supports the Sustainability team to ensure that all events are planned with green and sustainable practices.
• Engages with stakeholders increasing sustainability awareness.
Organizational Development & Process Improvement:
• Actively participates in committees and special projects as assigned by the Sustainability Director.
• The Zero Waste Coordinator holds no financial authority.
• Bachelor of Environmental Sciences is considered an asset, but not required.
• Experience developing sustainability plans.
• Experience with waste management.
• Experience with project planning is an asset.
• Capacity to inspire and motivate a volunteer team.
• Ability to collaborate with various stakeholders with competing expectations.
• Proven organization skills and the ability to manage a variety of tasks.
• Ability to maintain and manage both electronic and paper records.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
• Strong interpersonal skills and the ability to work with a diverse range of individuals.
• Self-motivated, collaborative and innovative.
• Ability to communicate in both French and English is considered an asset.