On Tuesday, August 29, candidates took to the floor at the Environment and Climate Change Forum to discuss the hottest environmental issues in the province. In attendance were Kevin Klein (PC), Lisa Naylor (NDP), Dougald Lamont (MLP), and Janine Gibson (GPM). More than 350 people, both in-person and online, came to hear what candidates had to say about the environmental community’s most pressing concerns.
Manitoba Eco-Network was proud to help organize the event with 26 other groups and were please to see some of our issues discussed during the forum, including:
- Climate mitigation and adaptation as priorities in all government policies
- Supporting climate-friendly agriculture and biodiversity
- Greening of the economy, electrification, and transportation
- Modernizing the environmental approvals process and the lack of sustainable development legislation
A segment was dedicated to quick-fire questions where the candidates presented yes or no cards as answers.
- Kevin Klein faces heat at pre-election climate and environment forum — Bartley Kives, CBC Manitoba
- Climate change takes centre stage in candidate debate — Julia Simone-Rutgers, The Winnipeg Free Press