New Directions is a social service agency offering a wide range of resources and services that foster people’s hopes and dreams in their communities.
Summer Support Worker
Resources for Adolescent Parents Program
Resources for Adolescent Parents (R.A.P.) is one of the many programs offered by New Directions. RAP is a supportive learning environment for pregnant or parenting youth ages 15-17 who have the opportunity to work towards their high school diploma in an environment enriched with Indigenous culture. R.A.P. requires a Summer Support Worker to assist in planning and organizing a positive and meaningful summer program.
- Assisting team in planning and engaging social and recreational summer activities for participants
- Providing participants with opportunities to learn and establish links to Indigenous culture
- Providing social opportunities in a safe environment, allowing RAP youth the chance to participate with other youth who share similar life experiences
- Assisting youth to achieve engaging meaningful social, cultural and recreational programming opportunitiesThe successful candidate must have:
- Post-secondary education; Social Work, Psychology, Community Development; Indigenous Studies; or other related fields
- A demonstrated knowledge, awareness and sensitivity to Indigenous cultures, traditions and sexual orientation
- Knowledge of the issues and barriers associated with adolescent parenting
- The ability to establish boundaries and set limits with youth
- As this position is a part of the Canada Summer Jobs initiative, the successful candidate must be of Indigenous background; between the ages of 18-30; and enrolled in full-time studies with plans to return to full-time studies in the fall.
The successful candidates will be subject to Criminal Record and Child/Adult Abuse Registry checks. A valid Class 5 Driver’s License and access to a vehicle are considered assets.
The position starts on July 3rd, 2018 and ends on September 1st, 2018 (16 weeks). The hours of work will be 8:30am – 4:30pm, Monday to Friday. The salary range is $13.46 to $19.04 per hour, based on 35 hours per week.
Please forward resume and covering letter by June 22,, 2018, to:
Program Coordinator – Resources for Adolescent Parents
500-717 Portage Avenue
Winnipeg, Manitoba R3G 0M8
We thank all applicants for their interest in New Directions; however only those selected for an interview will be contacted. Unfortunately, we cannot accept telephone inquiries.
New Directions is committed to equity and diversity and especially welcomes applications from ethnically diverse persons including Indigenous persons, persons with disabilities, persons of al sexual orientations and gender identities and newcomers to reflect the diversity of participants we support and who may contribute to the further diversification of ideas.
Job Type: Full-time
Salary: $13.59 to $19.04 /hour
- Secondary School
To view the original listing please click here